Award Winning Dairy Free Mac & Cheese
The secret in this no dairy mac and cheese is the spices for flavor, and the boiled cashews, which when blended with butternut squash create a lovely yellow color and the most rich, velvety sauce!
For the Dairy Free Cheese Sauce
For the Sage Bread Crumb Topping
Make the (not so) Cheese Sauce
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease or line an 8 x 8 glass dish.
- Combine butternut squash, cashews, onion and chicken base in pot. Add water just to cover. Alternatively, use chicken broth to cover in place of chicken base. Add kosher salt, pepper, smoked hot paprika, garlic & onion powder. Cover and bring to a boil until cashews are soft.
- Drain liquid from softened vegetables and cashews, add to blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add blended mixture to pot, and simmer over medium low heat. Stirring constantly. Be careful, as this mixture will sputter. Cook until slightly thickened about 5-10 minutes.
- Mix pasta with sauce and bacon. Put into greased dish.
Make Bread Crumb Topping
The sage bread crumbs, and the tomatoes that sit atop this baked mac and cheese offer a fragrant, and sweet touch to this creamy savory dish!
- Mix breadcrumbs, dash of kosher salt, garlic, onion powder & mustard powder. Mix in sage. Drizzle with avocado oil. Sprinkle onto mac and cheese in an even layer.
- Top with tomato slices.
- Bake until golden brown on top, and tomatoes have shriveled.
Feeling fresh? Try adding fresh veggies to the mix: peas, mushrooms, or leeks are good options.