A healthy version of the summer favorite!
When blues are in season, blueberry muffins are a must!
Even if you don’t have fresh blueberries where you are, or if they are not in season, frozen work just fine!
A few important swaps are made in this blueberry recipe that make it truly good for you!
- Almond flour is used instead of wheat flour. Wheat flour causes gut inflammation in everyone, not just people who are gluten sensitive! Another great benefit of swapping wheat flour for almond flour is the extra protein, which means you will be full for longer, which means you eat less!
- Honey is used in place of cane sugar. Honey has nutrients that cane sugar doesn’t have, not to mention cane sugar has been highly processed, and is more likely to make you gain weight!
- Coconut oil is used in place of butter. The thing with diary is the hormones! YES even dairy from “organic” cows is LOADED with hormones. Think about it, cow’s milk is made to stimulate the growth of a baby cow. These hormones are making their way into your body, telling your oil glands to work on overdrive (acne) causing joint inflammation (pain) and can create issues with your tummy (gas bloating diarrhea)
Blueberry Muffins (Almond Flour)
Make the blueberry muffins
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
This recipe will make about 6-8 muffins.
- Note: Blueberries will be mixed in last.
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix.
- Add wet ingredients in a small bowl and mix until combined.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients, and mix just until incorporated.
- Scoop batter into a muffin tin lined with unbleached parchment muffin wrappers.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
What is PPO?
Propylene oxide is a chemical that is used in the pasteurization of almonds. Almonds are essentially fumigated with this chemical to destroy any bacteria that might be on them. This process began because of TWO salmonella outbreaks that MIGHT have been traced back to almonds that had the bacteria in the early 2000s.
Organic almonds are prohibited from going through this process.