Dairy free, creamy and smooth, made with cashews!
If you didn’t know it already, dairy can create a lot of inflammation in your body! This means, acne, joint pain, stomach issues. If you want to learn more about what’s in your dairy, listen to the podcast episode here, where I talk about some illegal stuff that’s been found in conventional dairy!
If you love cream cheese, never fear! Cashew cream cheese is here! This is the ultimate recipe for cream cheese lovers who choose not to eat dairy. Did I mention how easy and fast this recipe comes together?
I make a batch weekly, so I always have fresh cream cheese on hand. This dairy free cream cheese goes perfectly on a toasty bagel, or use it for dipping veggies. I also love to spread it on my three ingredient home made crackers! Find the cracker recipe here, it’s gluten free!
It's pretty amazing what some cashews, a blender and a little water can create! I love cream cheese, but can't tolerate dairy, so this recipe is a weekly staple in my home! It will be in yours, too!
For preparing the cashews
For creating the dairy free cashew cream cheese
The longer you let your cashews soak in the water, the less work your blender has to do to make the cashews nice and smooth for your cream cheese. If you have a really nice high powered blender, this step matters, but you can get away with a shorter soaking time (3 hours). If your blender isn't the best, I highly recommend soaking cashews overnight for the most creamy results when blending.
- In order for the cashews to behave as we want when blending, they have to be soaked for several hours to get nice and soft.
- Place a pot over high heat, add cashews, a dash of salt and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil, uncovered. Boil for 1 minute.
- Cover and remove from heat.
- Let sit in water, covered for at least 3 hours. The longer the better, if you have overnight, even better.
Blend everything together to make your cream cheese!
Add more liquid as needed in small amounts! Once you add too much and your cream cheese is too thin, you cannot go back!
- Drain cashews and add them to a blender along with all ingredients listed.
- Blend until smooth.
- Stop blender and scrape down sides as needed.
- You may need to add more liquid to get this to your desired consistency.
- Each time I make this recipe, the amount of liquid needed varies slightly.
- Store in an airtight container and use within 1 week!