Dairy free & Gluten free
How is the creamy pumpkin sauce made without dairy?
The answer is NUTS! Literally haha. Macadamia nuts and pine nuts are soaked in water. This softens them up and when blended with pumpkin and liquid, result in a super velvety smooth sauce!
What makes this recipe gluten free?
I use gluten free pasta. And there is no flour used to ‘thicken’ the sauce, the blended nuts do the perfect job of this! There are many types of gluten free pastas. Pasta made from corn, cassava and rice. I prefer pasta made from cassava as it is less likely to spike and crash your blood sugar, leaving you tired. This is because it is lower on the glycemic index than rice. Corn can be irritating on the gut, and if you are not buying organic pasta, corn can be sprayed with glyphosate and expose you to this nasty pesticide.
Creamy Pumpkin Pasta with Sausage
This no dairy pumpkin sauce is velvety and smooth! Macadamia & pine nuts are blended together with pumpkin puree to make the creamiest sauce! Combined with pasta and topped with sausage, this is a delight that comes together effortlessly!
For the creamy pumpkin sauce
For the pasta
Make the pumpkin cream sauce
Water will work just fine in place of plant milk. It will result in a more mild sauce. If you use chicken broth it will result in a richer tasting sauce.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend for 1-2 minutes, until very smooth.
- You may need to add additional liquid to achieve a thin enough consistency.
- Set aside while you prepare the pasta.
- Cook pasta according to package directions and drain. Saving some pasta water for later.
- In a large skillet heat 1/4 teaspoon of oil and saute onions until just beginning to soften.
- Add sausage, and cook until browned.
- Add garlic, and cook on low until soft.
Combine ingredients for pasta
- Add the pumpkin cream sauce to the skillet with the sausage and stir to combine.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in pasta.
- Add pasta water as needed to thin the sauce and help things come together.
- Finish by mixing in the spinach.