Nutella is loaded with cheap oil and sugar weighing you down. Make this delicious, chocolatey spread at home made with all good for you ingredients. Sweetened with maple syrup.
Hazelnut Spread (CLEAN Nutella)
Roasting the nuts will make removing the skin easier. Warm nuts will blend better as the oils inside have heated.
Putting the hazelnuts in a container with lid and shaking them can help to remove the skins. Or try putting them in a dishtowel and rubbing them.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roast hazelnuts in preheated oven for 20 minutes on a baking sheet.
- Monitor them closely, you don't want them to burn. They should turn a light brown.
- Let nuts cool slightly and remove the skins.
Go easy on the salt if you are not using flaked sea salt. Table salt is much stronger!!!
- In a food processor or high powered blender, add warm hazelnuts.
- Blend until a smooth, peanut butter like consistency forms.
- You may need to scrape down the sides to help the blender blend everything well.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- Taste, you may want a sweeter spread, add more maple syrup.
Cacao powder is not the same as cocoa powder. Cacao powder is pure and unprocessed. Cocoa powder is often mixed with many ingredients, and has added sugar. Using pure cacao powder is a wonderful way to make a healthy swap!