Egg whites are whisked with coconut sugar and maqui berry powder to achieve a lovely purple color!
For the Lobster
Dissolve the sugar
If you skip this step, your meringue cookies will be gritty and grainy from the undissolved sugar.
- In a large bowl add all ingredients.
- Set the large bowl over a pot filled with 2 inches of water.
- Heat the water to a simmer.
- Whisk constantly until sugar is dissolved.
The egg whites have stiff peaks when they stand straight up and out from the whisk. See photo. Do not over beat the egg whites or they will collapse.
- In a mixer with the whisk attachment, or with a hand mixer, whip the egg white mixture until stiff peaks form.
- This should take about 7 minutes.
Pipe the meringue
Preheat oven to 175 degrees
If you do not have a piping bag you can cut the corner off of a sandwich bag, the opening should be about the size of the diameter of a pencil.
- Use a piping bag with the circle tip.
- Fill the piping bag with the meringue.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Start by piping a circle about the size of a nickel and then very fast and swiftly, pull the piping tip backward to make a teardrop shape. Do the same for the second half of the heart, overlapping the point of the teardrop slightly onto the first side.
- The video is very helpful for this technique, see it here.
Bake the meringue
I know, 8 hours seems like a LONG time?! But This is necessary to have the merengue dry out properly. If you skip this step, or cut it short, your hearts will be chewy and very tough. See for yourself, quickly pop into the oven before the time is up and try one.
- Bake the meringue in preheated oven for about 60 minutes.
- After 60 minutes, turn off the oven and let the meringues fully cool with the oven door closed: about 8 hours.