Boxed cake mix is the secret to whipping up this delightful cake.
Finally a good for you pineapple upside down cake!
Traditional pineapple upside down cake is loaded with fake colors, processed sugar, and ingredients driving up inflammation, making you feel bad. Make my clean version of this classic cake and your body will thank you!
What are the clean ingredients in this cake?
A box cake mix made from clean ingredients helps to save time. Coconut sugar replaces cane sugar, and I recommend you be intentional when picking your pineapple to ensure there are no additives or sugar. A good way to avoid any additives is just to use freshly sliced pineapple.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake!
- In a round, glass pie plate pour melted coconut oil and evenly sprinkle sugar on top. Mix so sugar is evenly combined with oil.
- Alternatively, you could melt coconut oil and sugar for a minute or two on the stovetop and then pour it into the pie plate.
- Drain pineapple slices and place evenly on top of coconut oil, sugar mixture.
- Dot centers of pineapple slices with cherries.
- Prepare cake from box mix according to box directions.
- Pour mix gently over the pineapple.
- Bake according to box directions.
- Let sit for 1 minute, and then immediately turn out of pie plate. Waiting will result in the sugars cooling and then the pineapple will stick to the pie plate.
- To turn cake out: Run a knife around the edge of the cake to loosen.
- Place a plate upside down on top of the pie plate. Hold the plate flush against cake while inverting the pie plate.
- Slowly remove pie plate.
- Let cool 10 minutes before cutting into the cake.