Finally, some GOOD gluten free chocolate chip cookies!
These cookies use almond flour, and not gluten free flour baking mixes that have xanthan gum.
What is xanthan gum?
Xanthan gum is made in a lab, by fermenting sugar with a specific type of bacteria. It is used in food as an additive to thicken, stabilize, and improve texture. It is almost always found in gluten free flour mixes (all purpose flour substitutes) this helps the finished product have a texture similar to things baked with gluten, and keep them springy. Often, you’ll find gluten free products are crumbly. These cookies, however, are chewy, gooey and cake like.
So what’s wrong with xanthan gum?
Xanthan gum is not naturally occurring. It is created in a lab, and it can cause bloating, stomach pain, gas and GI problems. No one wants that! Make these chocolate chip cookies without the additive xanthan gum, and I promise their texture is perfection!
The BEST (GF) Chocolate Chip Cookies (GOOEY)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, coconut oil, maple syrup, and brown sugar. Whisk until frothy, lightened in color. About 2 minutes! Do not skip this step, this contributes to the wonderful texture of these cookies.
- In a separate bowl, mix almond flour, baking soda, salt. Add to above mixture.
- Mix until just combined, and fold in the chocolate chips.
- On a parchment lined cookie sheet scoop cookie dough into balls. I used a small ice cream scoop and formed cookies into balls just a tad smaller than a golf ball.
- Keep 1-2 inches in between cookie dough balls.
- If you want flatter cookies, wet your finger and press down gently on top of the cookie dough balls to flatten the cookies. They will not spread that much during cooking.
- Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- If you bake these cookies less, they will be more gooey and chewy! Baking them longer will result in a cookie with a more cake-like texture.
- Pure almond extract is also a wonderful flavor add in here, as a swap for vanilla extract!
gluten free chocolate chip cookies, no xanthan gum, chewy cookies, gooey cookies, chocolate chip cookies easy